i have called you children,
i have called you son.
what is there to answer if i'm the only one?
morning comes in Paradise,
morning comes in light.
still i must obey,
still i must invite.

if there's anything to say,
if there's anything to do,
if there's any other way,
i'll do anything for you.

i was dressed embarrassment,
i was dressed in wine.
if you had a part of me, will you take your time?
even if i come back, even if i die
is there some idea to replace my life?

like a father to impress,
like a mother's mourning dress,
if you ever make a mess,
i'll do anything for you.

i have called you preacher,
i have called you son.
if you have a father,
or if you haven't one...

i'll do anything for you.
i did everything for you.


--for the widow in Paradise, for the fatherless in Ypsilanti
sufjan stevens, welcome to michigan

2 comments:

MeLissa said...

This is in my top two favorite Sufjan songs.

Allison Drew said...

I love Sufjan and this is one of my faves.