Happy Birthday, Mr. President

happy birthday to you...
Today the nation recognized what would have been the 200th birthday of President Abraham Lincoln. It is no secret that he has [and always will be] my favorite Commander-in-Chief. In honor of his birthday, some of good ol' Abe's wit and wisdom:

--"I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what's said against me won't amount to anything."

--"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."

--"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them."

--"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for that day."

--"...I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right. But it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side."

--"In giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free."

--"A house divided against itself cannot stand. I believe this government cannot endure permanently half-slave and half-free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved - I do not expect the house to fall - but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing or all the other."

--"God bless the women of America!"

--"The probability that we may fall in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just; it shall not deter me."

--"Leave nothing for tomorrow which can be done today."

--"In regard to Great Book, I have but to say, it is the best gift God has given man. All the good the Savior gave to the world was communicated through this book."

Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 - April 15, 1865)

2 comments:

Allison Drew said...

Yep, I met him at the Olustee Festival.

Molly said...

I freaking love that you wrote a blog about Lincoln.

Did you know that when I was around 10 years old, I was upstairs in my great grandma's old farmhouse sleeping in a creepy old room that I was sharing with my little sister. She was snoring next to me when i woke up in the middle of the night... and wouldnt you know that I saw good ole Abe sitting in a rocking chair near my bed, in his long night gown, night cap, with a candle, reading a book. He looked at me over the rim of his reading glasses and told me to be quiet because my sister was sleeping and that I should probably go back to sleep myself.

Not even kidding.

I told my great grandma when I woke up the next morning, and she was like, "ya know, I knew I was hearing noises up there!" So I know it was him.

It's true.
I saw him.
He's cool.