Change the Conversation

stop using the [r] word.

i'm a grad student.
one of the classes i'm in right now is students with exceptionalities.

it's a fantastic class. i'm learning a ton. and it's allowed me to fall even more in love with those students that have disabilities.i have spent quite a bit of time in special education classrooms, and there is just something about being in there that makes me want to do better for them. that makes me want to love them.

tonight, in class, we were listening to student presentations and a friend of mine showed these small clips as part of her presentation. they are commercials for the special olympics and they took my breath away.








this is a cause i'm willing to support.
let's commit to ban the [r] word.


3 comments:

Allison Drew said...

Oh Leslie. I'm so glad you posted those.

Last summer Nathan Willis (the future Mr. Alee Franklin) took the most amazing video from a site for metally and physically handicapped individuals. It was about 30 of the kids singing "I believe I can fly"... We seriously watched it about 6 or 7 times in a row and just cried. It's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

Molly said...

I love this post! I was a special olympics swim and soccer coach in college and it was so rewarding! Thanks for posting those videos...

AND thanks for being such a faithful blog commenter... I love you and miss you too!

jessiefrances said...

so sweet. i worked with special olympics for a summer and it changed my life! they were some of the most precious people i have ever encountered! they have an ability to love blindly... in a way so many people are unable to do! I can definitely be down for this cause!